Black & White Photograph
The image below shows the community of St. Helena in the Genesee Valley north of Big Bend and Wolf Creek in Letchworth Park. Once a thriving village with a rich community life, St. Helena boasted the only river bridge between Mt. Morris and Portageville. It is now one of the Park's "vanished villages".
This photograph was taken from the hillside southwest of the village. Once can see Main Street, the school building, and in the distance, the St. Helena Bridge. Local historian Mildred Anderson dated this photograph as being from "about 1900".
Click on the photograph to see enlarged views. Also see our Glimpse of St Helena, a map of the village, and information about the cemetery that was moved when the Mt. Morris Dam was being built.
We thank the Nunda Historical Society for providing this image.