"824 View across the River"
C.W. Woodward, Publisher
This image was taken from the Genesee Valley Canal towpath on the east bank of the gorge. The Creek tumbling over the falls was originally named "Erickson's Brook". According to Anderson (p11), the building to the right of the bridge was, according to Mildren Anderson in Genesee Echoes, the furniture factory of Nathan Davis who settled the area around 1840. The structure was also identified as the residence of Nathan's son William T. Davis. (see Image 159) Later the Davis family would run a refreshment stand out of a building located at the same spot. (See Image 40)
Mr. Letchworth and his Nameless Club from Buffalo christened Erickson's Brook as the more romantic Deh ga ya soh or "Nameless Spirit" Creek a few years before this photograph was taken. Although not visible in this stereo, there were a series of steps down the cliff so that visitors could reach the River.